What is a Mentoring Community?
What is the Use of Collaborative Conversations?
02:30 Mentoring Definition - IMC perspective
- Trusted relationship
- Where (and when) the mentor and mentee
- Learn and grow together through
- Personal and professional
- Development (and evaluation: formative review and summative assessment)
04:00 *Use Collaborative Conversation
_Collaboration - high assertiveness (for self) and high cooperation (with others)
Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (search for this keyphrase)_Conversation - informal (formal) sharing/exchanging ideas - focused (reason for it) - outcome - build/grow each other’s ideas/insights
As I start my conversations while mentoring
07:42 *Remind myself of the following guidance:I (we) create a place where we live and work well together.
Where (and when) we enjoy what we do and do what we enjoy.
Key considerations:I (as a mentor) 09:10 *Use collaborative conversations involving a hospitality approach
That is …
- I converse in ways that show my confidence and cooperation = organization of work
- I welcome all of the mentee (upon entry, along the way) = preparation checklist//prevention backpack
- I start where the mentee is = welcoming
- I use collaborative (generative) conversations (twoway) from the outset = consistency.
As It Applies to working with the mentee, I’ll ask questions like:
- “What does mentoring mean to you?”
- “What does mentoring look like for us?”
- “If you could have your great mentoring experience, what would it look like?”
With answers to these types of questions,
16:55 *Gain insights to frame my listening and learning
as I show listening in action.
Listen from a caring response
Once you identify what you know and comprehend
about what the mentee has shared,
then WE start and
Sustain collaborative conversations via a hospitality perspective
Engage TOGETHER (Two-Way)
20:39 *Comprehend the mentee’s hierarchy of values Ask, and listen via their words - their actionsAlert to my own - and how I show them
AND, While there is two of us
There are persons influenced by the mentoring
22:22 So you have the community of two, and other communitiesLook at communities - as in IMCommunity
- Community (Level of commonness/unifies) (Communicate from Commitment)
- Community of Concepts (Knowledge - associated attitudes)
- Community of Practice (Skills - associated attitudes)
- Community of Caring - Kindness (Respect and Fairness)
- Community of Significare - Hospitality/Caring
30:31 IMC is a Community
where/when IM - I Mentor in Community // “I’m community”
33:35 In community, using collaborative conversations, consider the knowledge and skills (and attitude) required for:
- Issue resolution including problem inquiry/solving and appreciative inquiry/tracking
- Dynamic delegation
- Recognition and celebration
- Progressive incentives
- What would you add? Alter? Delete? For this list?
Reach out to us with your comments - to ask questions - to get involved with mentoring certification...
Use the Comments section below to share a public comment - query - ask...
Contact Form - private
Cut n paste: https://internationalmentoringcommunity.com/contact