Setting up a story for Business Decisions 18-04:
Dominique is writing at her work desk.
Phil knocks on her open door.
“Morning, again. I see you’re busy. A quick question?”
Looking up, Dominique nods ‘yes.’
“Do you have any information on adults and learning in the workplace?”
"Yes - I'll send you a copy of a handout given to me. And pay attention to the sharing instructions so all of us can benefit from your learning."
Walking back to his office, Phil is curious as to the sharing instructions.
Enhancing Adult and Workplace Learning: A Manager’s Perspective
Here are five insights about adults and learning.
They have proved helpful to managers using learning as an approach to engage staff as learners. Is there more to add?
We hope so!
Sharing your Ideas:
Please make a copy of this handout.
Based on your experience, edit the handout.
That is - add, alter or delete the ideas.
Add your email address to the end of the handout.
In that way you benefit from subsequent edits to the handout.
Then, send a copy with your edits to the person who sent you the handout.
* With agreement, the handout will be send to those on the email list.
* If clarification is required, expect dialogue before it's sent.
Adults are practical and issue-centered, so you can ...
- Discuss and plan for direct application of their new information
- Use collaborative, authentic, issue-solving activities with them
- Anticipate issues from the signals available (given)
- Encourage them to apply their new ideas to an actual issue
- Appreciate when their learning is organized & support them when it is not
- Define clearly the processes they are to use
- Show how learning will help them to attain organization goals
Adults self-promote their positive self worth, so you can ...
- Provide low-risk suggestions in small group settings when starting
- Plan for supporting individual success incrementally
- Help them become more effective establishing processes that help
- Help them feel confident through guided practice
Adults integrate new ideas with existing knowledge, so you can ...
- Celebrate what they already know from prior experience
- Bring the best of the past into the present
- Collect data about their needs before, during, & after project assignments
- Relate what they already know and can do to their work
- Share your agenda and assumptions, and ask for their input
- Suggest follow-up ideas and next steps to support their implementation
Adults show respect for self & others, so you can ...
- Avoid jargon and don't "talk down" to them or about yourself
- Validate and affirm their contributions and successes
- Ask for their feedforward on your requests, requirements, & suggestions
- Ask them for their requirements, requests, & suggestions
Adults seek choice and self-direction, so you can ...
- Connect the organization plans with their declared needs and values
- Compare desired behaviours (goals) with actual behaviours
- Ask what they would like to know about your work
- Build in options within your plan so you can easily shift if needed
- Serve others as a mentor, coach, and facilitator as required
- Help others reach their goals
- Allow time for planning the next steps
I commit to send a copy of my edits to the last person listed here who in turn will sent it to others on the list:
Email address - 1
Email address - 2
Email address - 3
Email address - Dominique
If you have edits - add to the comments below so we can benefit from your lived experience. Thank you!
In the spirit of Ask:
In supporting the learning of others,
what is the single, most important consideration
you must keep in the forefront of your actions
to ensure the learning occurs?
To Work Well Together involves learning together!
Available Now for Business Decisions 18-04:
Managing - Leading Mentoring in the Workplace
eBook ... Dr. Stephen Hobbs
Click image to the right to access Amazon Kindle and PDF versions of the book
Are you an entrepreneur operating a small to medium size business with employees or an entrepreneurial mentor - facilitator - coach - consultant, & you determine...
It's Time to Work Well Together as YOU Make an Extraordinary Business Pivot to Deliver Your Products, Services, and Experiences in Smarter Ways, to Larger Audiences, with Better Conversion and Completion Rates?
From this Business Decisions 18-04 post, it's helpful to recognize a...
Business Pivot is a conscious, organizational realignment all stakeholders communicate through the commitments they make and keep.
And, your personal commitment to the business pivot begins and continues from the point where and when you communicate accountability for your action_outcomes.
When you work with WELLth Movement, we guide you to Map, Manage, and Measure Why and How to Work Well Together through Your Business Pivot as YOU Deliver Your Products, Services, and Experiences on a Local - Regional - National - Continental - Global basis!
Use our Integrated Management-Leadership System to obtain ISO certification combined with customer and employee competence verification.
We don’t believe in “get rich” programs – only in hard work, adding value, building a real and professional career, and serving others with excellence and constancy. Our products, services, and experiences – our programs – are intended to help you share your message with a wider audience and to make a difference in the world while growing your personal brand, business, and/or workplace. Our programs take a lot of work and discipline just like any worthwhile endeavour or professional continuing education program. Please don’t enrol in our programs if you believe in the “money for nothing get rich quick” myth or ideology; we only want serious people dedicated to real professional development who want to add value and move humanity forward. As stipulated by law, we can not and do not make any guarantees about your ability to get results or earn any money with our ideas, information, tools or strategies. We don’t know you and, besides, your results in life are up to you. Agreed? We just want to help by giving great content, direction, and strategies. What we can guarantee is your satisfaction; we give you a Fairness Approach, so if you are not happy for any reason with the quality of our work, just ask for your money back. You should know that all programs by our company are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on this page, any of our websites, or any of our content or curriculum is a promise or guarantee of results or future earnings, and we do not offer any legal, medical, tax or other professional advice. Any financial numbers referenced here, or on any of our sites, are illustrative of concepts only and should not be considered average earnings, exact earnings, or promises for actual or future performance. Making decisions based on any information presented in our programs, should be done only with the knowledge that you could experience risk or losses just like any entrepreneurial endeavor. Use caution and always consult your accountant, lawyer, or professional advisor before acting on this or any information related to a lifestyle change or your business or finances. You alone are responsible and accountable for your decisions, actions, and results in life, and by your registration here you agree not to attempt to hold us liable for your decisions, actions or results, at any time, under any circumstance. Anyway, all of our terms, privacy policies and disclaimers for this program and website can be accessed via this link. It’s basic stuff — don’t think you’re guaranteed to make money easily or at all, consult professionals before starting/operating businesses, understand there is risk in being an entrepreneur, etc — but we feel transparency is important, and we hold ourselves (and you) to an incredibly high standard of integrity. That’s why we also put our disclaimers on all our pages, why we give you our contact information for any questions, and why we give you a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thanks for stopping by to us our programs. Until next time, make it a wellthy-wealthy day.
Business Decisions 18-04
Edited version from 2007