8 Meaningful Examples of Leading in Action Using a Marketing Metaphor Business Decisions 18-02
I read an article (by Kim Castle, 10+ years ago) on the different types of marketing in action. I was chuckling after reading it.
I thought … what would happen if I replaced marketing with leading and reshaped the descriptors? I did!
What follows is the result:
1) You're a leader and you see an impressive employee at a meeting. You go up to the employe and say, "I'm a fantastic leader." — That's Leading through Marketing.
2) You're at a meeting with your colleagues and notice an impressive employee. One of your colleagues goes up to the employee and, pointing at you, says, "He's a great leader." — That's Leading through Advertising.
3) You see an impressive employee at a meeting. You go up to the employee and ask what area the employee works in. The next day you call and say, "Hi, I'm a great leader." — That's Leading through Telemarketing.
4) You see an impressive employee at a meeting and you straighten your suit. You walk up to the employee and offer to pour the employee a cup of coffee. You say, "May I?" and reach over and place a gourmet cookie on a napkin and give it to the employee, and then say, "By the way, I'm a great leader." — That's Leading through Public Relations.
5) You're at a meeting and notice an impressive employee. On break, the employee walks up to you and says, "I hear you're a great leader." — That's Leading through Brand Recognition.
6) You're at a meeting and notice an impressive employee. The employee considers you to be a great leader. However, you talk the employee into working with someone who requires the employee's workplace insights. — That's Leading through a Sales Rep.
7) Your staff can't figure out a solution to a problem and they call you. — That's Leading through Tech Support.
8) You're on your way to a meeting when you realize that there are some impressive employees in the work cubicles you are walking by. So you climb onto the desk in the middle of the room and shout at the top of your lungs, "I'm a great leader!" — That's Leading through Junk Mail.
And now, over to you...
Someone you knew was leading through a junk mail approach, what would you do?
Someone you knew needed a bit of advertising at a meeting, what would you do?
Someone (?) you knew __________, what would you do?
(Fill in the ? and blank and make it happen))smiles
In the spirit of Ask – let me pose the following questions to you:
- Which statement - above - describes you last year?
- Which statement describes you today?
- Which statement would you like others to use to describe you moving forward?
And how will you achieve this intention?
Please provide a response to the third question in the Comments section below . And in responding, provide sufficient detail so we can understand your ideas. I know others would appreciate reading what you have to say.
To Work Well Together involves your stick-to-it-ness!
Available Now for Business Decisions 18-02:
Managing - Leading Mentoring in the Workplace
eBook ... Dr. Stephen Hobbs
Click image to the right to access Amazon Kindle and PDF versions of the book
Are you an entrepreneur operating a small to medium size business with employees or an entrepreneurial mentor - facilitator - coach - consultant, & you determine...
It's Time to Work Well Together as YOU Make an Extraordinary Business Pivot to Deliver Your Products, Services, and Experiences in Smarter Ways, to Larger Audiences, with Better Conversion and Completion Rates?
Business Pivot is a conscious, organizational realignment all stakeholders communicate through the commitments they make and keep.
And, your personal commitment to the business pivot begins and continues from the point where and when you communicate accountability for your action_outcomes.
When you work with WELLth Movement, we guide you to Map, Manage, and Measure Why and How to Work Well Together through Your Business Pivot as YOU Deliver Your Products, Services, and Experiences on a Local - Regional - National - Continental - Global basis!
Use our Integrated Management-Leadership System to obtain ISO certification combined with customer and employee competence verification.
We don’t believe in “get rich” programs – only in hard work, adding value, building a real and professional career, and serving others with excellence and constancy. Our products, services, and experiences – our programs – are intended to help you share your message with a wider audience and to make a difference in the world while growing your personal brand, business, and/or workplace. Our programs take a lot of work and discipline just like any worthwhile endeavour or professional continuing education program. Please don’t enrol in our programs if you believe in the “money for nothing get rich quick” myth or ideology; we only want serious people dedicated to real professional development who want to add value and move humanity forward. As stipulated by law, we can not and do not make any guarantees about your ability to get results or earn any money with our ideas, information, tools or strategies. We don’t know you and, besides, your results in life are up to you. Agreed? We just want to help by giving great content, direction, and strategies. What we can guarantee is your satisfaction; we give you a Fairness Approach, so if you are not happy for any reason with the quality of our work, just ask for your money back. You should know that all programs by our company are for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on this page, any of our websites, or any of our content or curriculum is a promise or guarantee of results or future earnings, and we do not offer any legal, medical, tax or other professional advice. Any financial numbers referenced here, or on any of our sites, are illustrative of concepts only and should not be considered average earnings, exact earnings, or promises for actual or future performance. Making decisions based on any information presented in our programs, should be done only with the knowledge that you could experience risk or losses just like any entrepreneurial endeavor. Use caution and always consult your accountant, lawyer, or professional advisor before acting on this or any information related to a lifestyle change or your business or finances. You alone are responsible and accountable for your decisions, actions, and results in life, and by your registration here you agree not to attempt to hold us liable for your decisions, actions or results, at any time, under any circumstance. Anyway, all of our terms, privacy policies and disclaimers for this program and website can be accessed via this link. It’s basic stuff — don’t think you’re guaranteed to make money easily or at all, consult professionals before starting/operating businesses, understand there is risk in being an entrepreneur, etc — but we feel transparency is important, and we hold ourselves (and you) to an incredibly high standard of integrity. That’s why we also put our disclaimers on all our pages, why we give you our contact information for any questions, and why we give you a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thanks for stopping by to us our programs. Until next time, make it a wellthy-wealthy day.
Business Decisions 18-02
Edited version from March 2007
Influence by: Kim Castle